Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Take A 10 Minute Break — Plant a Tomato!

This morning I remembered it is Wednesday. There’s nothing unusual about today, except that it’s our neighborhood’s scheduled day for garbage pickup. So I was outside, bright and early, dragging my garbage can to the edge of my driveway.

I live in the Southeast and the temperatures are starting to get warm here during the day (the upper 80s). The early morning temperature is beautiful. It is the perfect time for planting tomatoes. I took an extra ten minutes out of my day to plant a Carolina Gold.

This year is the first time I’ve planted a yellow tomato, but I’ve heard they are delicious. Tomatoes are one of the easiest vegetables to grow (although I’ve heard technically they are considered a fruit). You can put one in the ground or in a large container.

Sweet 100 is a great variety for growing in containers. It’s a cherry or small type of tomato and it grows like a tall bush. I’m also going to try a pink variety called German Johnson. I bought one from the Farmer’s market last year and it was fantastic.

You can purchase Sweet 100 at any garden store in the bedding section. Carolina Gold and German Johnson, you’ll have to look a little harder for a plant. Farmer’s markets are a great location to look, also check out smaller, independent nurseries and produce stands. I found my German Johnson and Carolina Gold at Gene’s Produce in Statesville, NC. It was the first time I had stopped there and I found varieties I had never seen before!

My plan for today is WORK, WORK, WORK!

BUT, it is important to take a short break every hour or so. During my breaks today I will plant the last two tomato plants in my garden.

One item to note: my garden isn’t a straight forward rectangle in the middle of my sunny yard. I do live in a suburban area, so I’ve planted my tomatoes in the sunniest corners of my garden beds surrounding my house. (In fact, two of them are in my rose garden along with my day lilies, mint and parsley!)

Thanks for sharing a few minutes with me.
Ellen

Ellen Wass Beckerman
Writer/Photographer/Graphic Designer
www.gardentextures.com

No comments: